Osteoarthritis Treatment & Diagnostics in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis. It is a chronic joint condition, which can affect any body joint. However, the joints that get more frequently affected are the ones which bear maximum weight, such as hands, hips, knees, spine and feet. Osteoarthritis develops when the protective cartilage that covers ends of bones (in joints) wears out.
One may visit rheumatologists or orthopedists regarding the problem of osteoarthritis. However, surgery is performed only by orthopedists. If you are facing problems related to osteoarthritis, search for or visit an ortho hospital near me or an orthopedic surgeon near me.
What are the symptoms of osteoarthritis?
- Joint pain affecting your movement or change of posture
- Loss of flexibility
- Swelling around joints
- Joint stiffness
- Joint tenderness even when a little pressure is applied on the joint area
- A sensation of grating or crackling sound when moving
- Joint instability
- Bone spurs (hard lumps around joint)
- Joint inflammation
In case you have the symptoms, you must consult the best ortho doctor near you.
What causes osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative condition that can be caused by:
- Past injuries in ligament, cartilages and joints
- Joint malformation
- Joint stress
- Bone deformity
- Poor posture
- Genetics (family history of osteoarthritis)
- Gender (women being more susceptible to osteoarthritis)
- Age factor
When do you need to see a doctor?
If you feel stiffness in your joints or suffer from joint pain that is persistent, it may be due to osteoarthritis. You must seek immediate attention from an orthopedist or a rheumatologist.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
How is osteoarthritis diagnosed?
It is quite difficult to diagnose osteoarthritis as it shows symptoms at later stages. Often osteoarthritis is diagnosed due to an accident or trauma that may require an X-ray.
For osteoarthritis diagnosis, doctors proceed with an X-ray, along with an magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan. Sometimes, doctors even recommend a blood test and analysis of joint fluid to eliminate chances of other conditions like rheumatoid arthritis.
If you spot any lump in any joint of the body, followed by other symptoms as mentioned above, consult orthopedic doctors in Chennai as soon as possible.
What is the treatment for osteoarthritis?
- Osteoarthritis may be treated with medications such as:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Topical analgesics
- Oral analgesics
There are surgeries to treat osteoarthritis as well. Few types of surgeries are:
- Arthroscopy: It is done to remove any cyst, damaged cartilage or a fragment of bone by making only a few incisions. It is a minimally invasive surgery.
- Arthroscopy (total joint replacement): In this case, an artificial joint is implanted.
- Joint fusion: A surgeon uses plates, pins, rods and screws to join the bones.
- Osteotomy: In this case, a surgeon makes an incision near the bone of the damaged joint or adds a wedge of bone to readjust the body part.
Osteoarthritis can affect your quality of life. It is a chronic disease, so one should never ignore the symptoms of osteoarthritis. The sooner the treatment starts, the higher is your chance of improving your quality of life.
Exercise, diet, adequate sleep, weight loss and hot/cold compress may provide relief from the symptoms.
No, the artificial joint may wear out with age, and one may need another surgery again after 15 to 20 years.
No, they both are different diseases. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease which worsens with time, whereas rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder.